There is a disturbing trend happening in the Minneapolis and St. Paul and Suburbs. Central Air Conditioners being installed by people who do not know how to service the air conditioners or furnaces they install. The thought of a homeowner being comfortable with this baffles me.
As a HVAC contractor that has been installing and servicing air conditioners, furnaces, boilers for decades, I believe it is our duty to inform homeowners the problems that can happen. Below are just a few of the examples:
- What if the a/c or furnace does not work when turned on? Who are you going to call? The company that you said was too expensive due to having a service department? Will somebody come out and look over their work?
- Who is going to do the warranty work if something happens to your air conditioner, furnace or boiler? A majority of licensed HVAC contractors will not do warranty work on equipment not installed by them. This is due to the low amount manufacturers pay on labor for warranty work. Also, the first year is on the contractor.
- Who will help you maintain your equipment on a yearly basis which is required for warranty? Efficiency claims are only possible if you maintain and clean your hvac equipment.
- Will they answer the phone for questions after the install of your air conditioner? If they are so small that they don’t have a service department, will they have somebody to answer the phone or will they be closed?
- Will they have the license or pull a permit? While it is not as dangerous to get an a/c install wrong, installing a furnace or boiler incorrectly could damage your house or put your life in danger.
Would you buy a brand new car from a dealer who does not have a service department? Probably not. In fact you probably are buying that car from the same people who service your car because you know the quality of their work. There is not a better way to know the quality of the work and the dependability of the contractor then by having them do service for you.
At Minneapolis Saint Paul Plumbing Heating Air, we service everything we install which is Carrier, Goodman, Burnham, and all furnaces, boilers or air conditioners from other manufactures. You can contact us online or give us a call if you would like to more more about our service and install.
The Energy Tax Credit is coming to an end on December 31, 2010. As a result a lot of home owners are looking to replace their lower efficiency boiler with a new higher efficiency boiler that will qualify for the $1500 tax credit.
For some home owners, a high efficiency boiler or furnace is not possible. That is due to the piping that needs to be done for the exhaust. Either the run is too long out the side of the home or too far to the roof. My home is an example of not being practical to replace a 80% furnace with a qualifying 92% efficient or higher furnace. The cost would be too high to make sense due to the demolition that would be necessary to run the venting.
There is good news for people who want an efficient heating system without tearing apart the house or bank account. This is a Burnham Series 3 boiler. The Burnham Series 3 boiler is a gas fired, natural draft, cast iron water boiler.
High efficiency boilers are made with an aluminum heat exchanger. The longest warranty on the heat exchanger is 12 years. The Burnham boiler has a limited lifetime warranty due to the cast iron material.
The Series 3 boiler is 84% efficient. With the optional IQ Outdoor Reset Card you can get 85% efficient which will allow you to get rebates from local utilities. I can bore you with how it works, and more then happy to do it if you call us for an appointment. However, the bottom line is that is saves you money by lower gas use and access to rebates. The bonus is that it is thousands less than a 92 to 95% boiler. This savings will be more than you will get back with the government rebate.
If you are looking for a higher efficiency option for your hot water heat home, the Burnham Series 3 boiler is a great option. Minneapolis Saint Paul Plumbing Heating Air can help you lean about all the benefits. Click here to set up an appointment for a free in home estimate.